Contact me

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Giant steel Giraffe

On the battle droid I'm trying to come up with a way to make strong adjustable knees that can support the heavy steel body. I keep coming up with different ideas but nothing that really excites me. Since I'm sitting at a temporary roadblock with the battle droid I decided to start another major project that I can't seem to get out of my head.

And that is the giant steel giraffe project. We saw a large steel giraffe sculpture while on vacation in Michigan last summer and that's what originally got me learning metal working. If I can build it, it may be about 15 feet tall and should be very heavy. Might be nice in the backyard among the palm trees. Of course I'll have to make it portable so I can break it down and move it.

As of now the head is already under construction. I normally use 22 gauge steel but I'm experimenting with 24 gauge in a few places as it's a tad easier to move around (though harder to weld and not as strong). If I can get the head looking like a giraffe then the rest of the body should be doable. I'll post pictures when the head gets close to completion.

No comments: