B9's been tuned up and back to his old self. Originally I had two voltage regulators in his head ... one to power the crown motor and the red LED blinkers and the variable regulator to power the ears.
Last night I replaced the whole mess with one small 3v regulator the size of my thumb to power all of them. The ear motors go a little faster and the crown a little slower but it's simple and everything works well with that setup. While working on it in my garage last night a man drove by with his family and stopped so I gave him and his boys a tour of the robot house and they enjoyed seeing the robots.
The news segment about the robots got bumped at the last minute and they said it will appear next week. No worries .. it will happen when it happens.