Contact me

Monday, November 19, 2007

Barber hauler

It was one of those beautiful sunny Florida weekends that would have been perfect except for the fact there wasn't any wind (for sailing). So I decided to get on the water anyway and paddle around thinking there may be a slight breeze at least on the water. It was almost zero wind so it got me thinking about making a barber hauler for my AI. The weakness of the hobie Adventure island sailing kayak is the sail doesn't have a boom (but the advantage of not having a boom is it won't hit you in the head). When sailing downwind, the sail doesn't open up quite as well as it could. A barber hauler pulls the sail outward and keeps the sail in a better position to catch the wind. If the sail is bent then it's not efficient.

So after spending a few hours paddling around (with another family of dolphins I might add), I returned to design a budget barber hauler system. I bought a set of oar locks (that clamp on a 1.5" pipe) that attached to the ends of my akas with a ring to pull the line through. At the end of the line is a clip that I can reel in or pull the sail outward. I haven't tried other than in my driveway but I'm pretty happy with the design.

The Festivus pole was also built so let the festivities begin !

No comments: