Contact me

Friday, September 9, 2005

Programming bay on the cheap

I have a ton of scrap wood so I might as well put it to use. I created a programming bay out of the leftover 1/8" hardboard that I cut tonight to finish off the top and bottom of the large radar circles. Tomorrow my radar will be complete.

The challenge with making a programming bay out of wood is to get the angles right so it fits in the torso. The top piece of the programming bay I made is out of 1/2" mdf. To line up everything and get the angles correct, I attached a strip of velcro to the top 1/2" piece and back 1/8" piece. I'll mount some bolts to my torso and attach those to the 1/2" top piece and once all that's lined up, I'll figure out a way to attach the top and back more permanent. I'll need to get some rails for my vents before I make anything permanent to make sure the vents work with the programming bay.

Several weeks ago I made a programming bay back piece out of 1/2" mdf but then realized the toggle switches wouldn't mount in the 1/2" wood. I looked on the allied electronics site for deeper mounting switches then thought why not just make another one out of 1/8" wood and use toggle switches I already have. It took all of 15 minutes to make another piece out of 1/8" wood.

No comments: