Contact me

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Giraffe Lyposuction with a plasma cutter


As I roughed in the giraffe's chest area earlier this week, it became obvious that this giraffe was developing a definite weight problem. One that wouldn't be solved without removing the entire front chest area and removing some of the inner structure.

So with the help of my trusty plasma cutter, about 5 inches from the chest area was removed and the lower chest area was tapered inward to look more rounded and natural. The plasma cutter allowed me to get rid of a couple layers of structure that wasn't needed. Shaved a few pounds off this beast.

After a couple hours I was able to add more strips to form the structure and also tacked in a couple front leg pieces. The profile looks so much better. It was worth the extra work.

In the lessons department, I keep learning as I continue to weld. Now I know why welders often have hats under their welding helmet. That lesson was learned after setting my hair on fire more than a few times (well not actually on fire but I felt hot sparks penetrate my hair to burn my scalp). So now I stay pretty well suited up when engaging my mig welder. Not sure how that's going to work when summer makes it's arrival in Florida but it's something that has to be done.

No comments: