Contact me

Thursday, January 7, 2010

You really can do anything if you put your mind to it (especially if you have internet)

The world sure has changed in the last 12 years. The internet has so much to offer in the way of learning new things. Youtube videos have an almost unlimited selection of how to videos made by amateur videographers who are often passionate about what they're demonstrating. Some of the videos are just so so but others are outstanding.

I've spent a lot of time watching welding how to videos and metal sculpture videos from a lot of different artists and craftsman. I also subscribe to smartflix.com which has how to videos you can rent. All this information has certainly accelerated my welding and metalworking education. For all the bad things the internet spreads, the benefits almost make up for that.

I've been practicing with the stick welder that was given to me and it's starting to make sense. Tonight I used it for 3 critical areas on the battle droid and it worked very well. Yesterday I was experimenting with it and thin sheet metal but was only partially successful. Still playing with the different amperages and trying to get it just right. But it's pretty close.

Today I received some steel hemispheres in the mail which I'm using for elbows and knees. The elbows have been welded to the battle droid and the lower arms had some detail added to them. Still a lot to do but it's a great learning project.

No comments: