Funny how some projects that you worry about the most turn out to be a piece of cake while some of the ones you think will be easy turn out to be a nightmare. That's how it was with the repair of the fiberglass rear R2 feet. I've been thinking about them for months and thought that it would be a very difficult repair. Yesterday I came up with a great solution that looks good and is a practical solution for accessing the motors in the feet.
So now it's onto the final task which shouldn't be too difficult ... just a lot of labor. It involves removing the rear feet, motors and ankles to install the ankle cylinders and wedges. After this is complete I'm going to redo areas of the electrical some and then R2 will be good to go.
I've been experimenting with metal fabrication the last couple weeks and learning what I can in preparation for the next robot challenge. Renting several movies from smartflix.com has taught me about metal sculpture work, welding and brazing so far. Smartflix is like netflix but with "how to" movies. I want to fabricate my next life size robots all of steel. Yesterday while at northern tools pricing a welding torch I discovered how expensive the tanks were !!! After the sticker shock set in I decided to save up some more money and do a little more research before purchasing. Besides with my attention deficit issues, if I get a new tool I'll be screwing around with that all day and R2 will never get complete !