I hate to say it but this blog is becoming dusty and full of cobwebs. I just haven't had the time to devote to it and even my building is slowing down with all the millions of other projects coming at me.
But I'm happy to say that tonight I was able to finally get some more building in and got my battery boxes going pretty good. I made them a little larger than standard since my feet are slightly oversize to accommodate the Daniel Drive. But not by much.
I used 3" PVC pipe and cut it with my chop saw. Lucky thing I have a big blade chop saw because it worked beautifully. A standard smaller blade wouldn't have worked. I cut the side pieces out of strong Lexan using my band saw. And a couple pieces of angle iron from my vex robotics kit holds them together. Eventually I'll cover them with styrene and paint them ... that is once I figure out how to mount the hoses and get the whole thing mounted nicely to the feet where I can remove them at will.
On another note, MegaCon planning has started and I've been working on the scifi robot invasion website and contacting members of the Florida R2 builders. We're going to have a great group of people in our booth this year and I'm looking forward to it. The website is http://www.floridarobot.com to sign up.