Contact me

Friday, August 22, 2008

Last boring dome drive post

More of the same. Constantly working on the dome drive only to have it completely fail. Now I think it's the motor because my advanced designs are actually pretty nice. But the motor starts spazzing out after a few minutes. The wires heat up, the motor struggles and pretty soon it's jerking. What really clued me in is I removed the spring and started applying pressure manually from the dome drive to press on the lazy susan. When the motor started spazzing out, I let off on the pressure and the motor still acted weird. And the speed controller is hot enough to give you third degree burns (This I know from experience).

The drive uses a 12 volt TRICO windshield washer motor and a SYREN 10 speed controller with a powerful 12 volt battery. It's coming through a spectrum DX6 transmitter with the BR6000 receiver.

I don't know what to say. But that's it for sure and I won't be working on another dome drive design for awhile. I wasted wayyyyy too much time on this. It was kind of fun in a way but it also was very frustrating. I think now I'll check out Calvin's new "little motor that could".

2 comments:

Mike D. said...

Glad to hear you're not under water! I was starting to wonder when it had been a few days since your last post.

The solution to that drive will probably come to you once you take a break. Strange that a wiper motor wouldn't be just the ticket, those have a pretty tough duty cycle.

Jim said...

Hi Mike,
In the Tampa Bay area we're probably the only part of the state that didn't get pounded with rain and high winds.