Contact me

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Holo projectors

I have a nice set of resin holo projectors but was kicking around buying a set of aluminum ones. Then reality set in and I started wondering if the aluminum shavings have infiltrated my brain to influence me to keep buying aluminum parts. The fact of the matter is resin can look just as nice as aluminum if you take your time and prep it right. So I canned the aluminum hp idea and spent the last couple days sanding, priming and painting the resin hp's. And so far they look really nice. I venture people won't be able to tell the difference and will assume they're aluminum.

One noteworthy thing I did in prepping the resin hp's was I wiped them down with alcohol, dried them, and then shot them with a plastic primer that I got from Lowes. I wasn't sure if the plastic primer would work with resin but it worked fine. In fact, in a few places where I missed the primer, the paint didn't take as well. The primer is clear so it's easy to miss spots ... because you don't want to put it on too thick.

I saw this funny video again today after someone on the R2 club posted it. I saw it a year or so again and it's hilarious ... especially if you're a star wars fan. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOcKGc8ycCA

No comments: