Contact me

Saturday, October 1, 2005

Robot Grand Debut

We had a nice block party today and it just so happened to be directly in front of my house. For the past 2 weeks I've been working like a banchee to get my B9 into in shape. Yesterday I completely redid my sound system and rewired my lights using two light controllers. There were a few problems because of my rushing but all in all he looked like a complete B9 today to everyone who stopped by.

They didn't know the torso hooks were taped to the torso with that blue non-permanent easy to remove masking tape. Same with the bubble ... I put a few small pieces of tape in case anyone bumped the robot since I haven't drilled the holes yet. I had borrowed claws and wrists which were also taped in place and the arms were just sitting in the robot and pushed into the sockets as much as possible. Thankfully nobody bumped them. The radar fins on the ears were hastily cut from colored cardboard and taped on an hour before the party.

I had a closed circuit TV system watching the robot all the time and I controlled him wirelessly from my home (he was in the garage) when I wanted to interact with the crowd. It was a lot of fun. Many questions and I was surprised how many people didn't know about lost in space. Several tried calling him Robby but were quickly corrected. One guy asked my wife where is the "nut case" that built this.

The robot talked, the neon lit and the brain and chest lights worked fine. I cooked one channel of my old light controller yesterday and fried an experimental sound system with malfunctioning components. Glad it fried on the bench and not in my robot. I'll admit it was because I was hurrying but the way I look at it, anything can be repaired. Now I'll slow down and go back to doing one thing at a time. Well maybe I'll just cut it down to 3 or 4 at a time. That attention deficit disorder keeps kicking in.

My niece, nephew and my sister came over and my nephew (8 yrs old) brought his miniature B9 robot which he proudly displayed next to my B9. He loves the little robot as well as the big one.

Now I can take a few days off ..... It was a fun day.

No comments: