Contact me

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Ready for Halloween




I can't believe how much I got done in the last 24 hours. Last night and this morning I put another coat of paint on my B9 torso. One tip when using hammered paint for anyone considering it. Lay it on thick and if you get a run, dab it with a paper towel. A few seconds later, spray more on. Very easy paint to use.

Putting the B9 together and wiring it back up went very smooth. Well almost. Once again I tried hooking my chest lights into my Belly light controller and ONCE AGAIN, I fried channels on the controller. There was smoke and that burning rubber smell again. When that happened last month, I was rushing and blamed myself. Today I was taking my time and the wiring was perfect. So I realized that the chest lights must be drawing too much current for the controller. To fix the problem, I bought two inexpensive ($2.98 each) automotive 12v flashers and hooked those up to the chest lights. They work beautiful and I wish I would have done that in the first place. The lights look good. On the controller they were much dimmer.

Another thing I realized after finishing the wiring is the Tom W. light controller which runs my brain and finger lights requires 6v bulbs. I didn't know that. My finger lights are 12v and they seem to work just fine. Too late to change. I'm going to change the finger lights later when I get better sockets anyway.

The B9's miniature color camera is now mounted in the front behind the vent. It's no problem viewing through the even in low light (night) conditions. The microphone is mounted in the legs. It's so small you can't see it. It's about 1/8" round. Don't let it's size fool you. That microphone is very sensitive and clear.

I will control the robot's dialog from my desk and be able to interact with the kids using this closed circuit tv system. The robot's phrases will be transmitted on another audio wireless unit that has the receiver in the robot. It's a fun system and reminds me of when I was about 11 years old and built a talking pumpkin that I put in our tree on halloween one year to interact with trick-er-treaters. Same concept.

I was ahead of schedule today so the jawa's ion blaster got a blue light added to the inside of the blasters barrel.

Normally we don't get many kids around here but it should be a fun night.

No comments: