After spending a few hours every night experimenting with different designs, I found a design that looks like it will work great. The design was first made out of paper and then transferred to sheet metal. After a few experiments, The design looks very sound. I found a comment on my blog from Gary Cooke who used a similar design and I'm glad he mentioned that he used an 18 degree angle for the wheel platform. I went with that angle and it worked out perfect mounted to a standard "JAG" aluminum ankle.
The next phase will be to reinforce this design by welding more metal around it. The current bracket is only 22 gauge sheet metal so I need to add more metal for strength. The fiberglass foot shells are also going to need a bit of work to fix the cracks and holes. But the end result will be a stable front end on this droid. If this hadn't happened then I could have taken R2 to a film festival event tonight where John Travolta would have been a guest. Oh well ... better to do it right than rush and be sorry.
Looks like the Giraffe will have to wait for another month or two before getting any attention..