Building R2 can be loads o fun but so often I find myself getting very frustrated and feel like it always takes a dozen tries to get anything to work. I put so much work into the front foot that uses one caster and it just doesn't work. The foot is angled a little where the front edge is higher than the back edge. So it's not level. And if it's not level, a single caster system just doesn't work because when the caster wheel is at 360 degrees and when the caster wheel is at 180 degrees is very different. The back edge of the foot will either be off the ground an inch or so or it will be dragging on the ground. And the sad thing is I can't figure out how to change the angle using the parts I have. There aren't a lot of different possibilities from my perspective tonight. I tried moving the ankle bolt back a few inches but it didn't make much difference.
Now I kind of understand why I've seen 2 caster systems and why I've seen the OmniBall system. The Omniball wouldn't encounter this problem (I don't think).
While experimenting tonight, a piece of my fiberglass foot broke which really was upsetting. And I also noticed a big nasty crack on my resin skirt. He's falling apart before I even get him finished. Very discouraged tonight. Should have stuck with gardening.