Contact me

Saturday, March 3, 2007

R2 envy

After spending time at MegaCon with some really cool R2's, I have come to the conclusion that I must build an R2 ..... NOW ! No matter that I have a dozen other projects swirling around in my brain and on the bench. R2 is now at the front of the list.

Now, building an R2 has always seemed a little daunting to me. It seems much harder than building the B9. More parts and less room to work with. The advantages on the other hand greatly outweigh the disadvantages. There's a large population of R2 builders and parts out there. Much more so than any other robot or droid. Plus I have some of the top R2 builders in the world in my backyard to ask questions of.

So for the last couple weeks, I've been reading and surfing the internet to figure out what I need to do to get my very own Radio controlled R2-D2. I'm also lucky to have most of the parts already.

At this stage I have several intimidation factors that are nagging me.

The first is how do you attach the aluminum skins to the A&A frame? I know I'll figure it out eventually but it's daunting to think about. And do you have to attach them so they are easily removed to work on the inside electronics?

The second big question in my mind is how to attach motors and speed controllers inside the two feet. Which motors to use and how to mount them with what gears, etc. Big intimidation factor here.

The third big question bouncing around my brain is how to attach the legs to each other and the frame. I have a vague idea how I could accomplish this but at the same time I'm nervous after reading about other bulders having their R2's legs splay outward under the stress of movement. An R2 doing the splits would be bad.

Besides that, I think I can handle the other build facets of an R2. Painting and prepping will take the most time. An aluminum frame would be nice but .... I can't really afford something like that now so I will make what I have work. I will use my vex controller and some speed controllers for the feet.

The Gort robot from the 30's I'm working on will still get some attention but will drop to a secondary project. And the other projects I was hoping to start soon ..... will just have to wait.

No comments: