Contact me

Friday, June 30, 2006

Making statue feet

Since I won't fit into the C3PO costume, it probably will be utilized as a statue more than anything else. That's why I decided to make resin feet out of the vacuformed set I have. Another builder I know had a dream one night about making resin feet with a pvc hole toward the ankles so you can mount the feet on the pvc skeleton. I thought it was a good idea and decided to give it a try.

It's been awhile since I last poured resin but the frantic mess that resulted in my first experience has been an experience that I won't forget for a long time. That's why I had my wife present when I got ready to start pouring in case I needed help with anything. Because resin hardens quickly and when problems arise, you don't have time to react.

The feet were hot glued into a plastic container to contain any leaks. And it's a good thing I put it into a leak proof container because once the resin started flowing I realized that the glue from the glue gun was no match and it disintegrated quickly and the resin oozed out. But my vigilence for Murphy showing up paid off. I had a package of clay around just in case there were resin leaks. The clay paid off and worked well in containing the oozing resin. Still a lot of resin leaked out so I needed to quickly add more to the bucket to make sure the feet had enough.

I made a little extra just in case and once I was satisfied the feet would be fine, I poured the extra into the plastic vacuformed glue gun package that I had on the workbence. In Essence, I made a resin gun with the extra. I'll hang some stuff from it and make it look like something from outer space.

One problem I now have is how do I get this resin off my hands. I forgot to put the rubber gloves on and this stuff just doesn't want to come off my hands even after trying soap, water, goop cleaner and turpentine. I guess it could have been worse.

No comments: