Contact me

Thursday, April 27, 2006

First coat of paint is humbling



I sprayed a coat of hammered silver paint on today and lo and behold poor Bender looks terrible. It's like I was blind until I shot that paint on because all of a sudden there's a million flaws that need massive sanding and filling. That's the way it always seems to work.

But now when I'm sanding and working on him, it will be more like working on a real robot instead of just wood and styrene. His arms were removed so his shoulders could be masked from the paint. Those wires without the arms look pretty odd though.

The paint also brought out major flaws a wooden rib holding the structure together. It sticks out a little too far and makes Bender look like he's got a line on his side (not perfectly round). I have no idea how I'm going to fix that ... if it's even possible.

But I never fail to crack a smile every time I look at him. He reminds me of our mischevious cat always up to something. He needs a beer and a cigar also.

No comments: