Contact me

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Rotozip shreds 1/8" acrylic

More experiments in cutting circles with Acrylic. For the first time, I pulled out some of the 1/8" acrylic and decided to experiment on that. What a difference. It shatters very easily. Even drilling holes. Using the rotozip with this leaves very jagged edges and totally unusuable. Maybe I went too fast with the rotozip. Regardless, I'm putting the rotozip away for awhile.

Next I drew a circle on a piece of 1/4" acrylic and used the band saw to cut them. The circle actually came out pretty good. I then used the band saw to experiment with on the 1/8" and it also came out well. I created a crude hole cutting jig for the bandsaw and it cut a perfect circle. Hmmmm It looks like I need to build a quality hole cutting jig for the bandsaw. There's no other way. But I'll have to cut the inside holes with either the rotozip or a scroll or jig saw since you can't do that with a band saw. I'll probably spend all weekend building the jig. My wife and son are out of town for a week so I'll have plenty of time to build.

Also I noticed Lowes sold acrylic and lexan. Not cheap but they have it.

No comments: